[saymaListserv] QUIT listserve forward

Quakerkristi at aol.com Quakerkristi at aol.com
Tue Jul 11 19:27:42 JEST 2006

These are a few of the messages on the QUIT listserve this week.  They may be
of interest to you, so I put them together.....Kristi Estes
Friends – Interesting and potentially good news.  Just before the Senate
Judiciary Committee started its meeting this morning (on what to do in response to
the Supreme Court decision banning military tribunals at Guantanamo), the
White House announced that it will comply with Common Article 3 of the Geneva
Conventions.  In a memo addressed to the Joint Chiefs of Staff and others, Gordon
England said, “The Supreme Court has determined that Common Article 3 to the
Geneva Conventions of 1949 applies as a matter of law to the conflict with Al
Queda…”  He goes on to say that, aside from the military commission
procedures, he believes that existing DoD orders, policies, directives, etc. (including
the current, not the revised, version of the Army Field manual) comply with
the standards of Common Article 3.  So all of the various addressees are
ordered “to review all relevant directives, regulations, policies, practices, and
procedures to ensure that they comply…”

We disagree, of course, that current practices (at least) comply with Common
Article 3.  But acknowledgment by the White House that the Geneva Conventions
apply is a very good step forward.

FCNL will have information on its web site this afternoon, including a
statement by Joe Volk, a blog entry by Dan Smith, and a copy of the England memo,
which includes the text of Common Article 3.  Check in an hour or so at
http://www.fcnl.org/
Ruth Flower
Legislative Director
Friends Committee on National Legislation
245 2nd St. NE
Washington D.C. 20002
202-547-6000 ext 2524