[saymaListserv] forward from Atlanta Friends

Quakerkristi at aol.com Quakerkristi at aol.com
Thu Jul 20 11:04:54 JEST 2006

BeloFSTATEMENT OF THE ATLANTA FRIENDS MEETING ON THE ILLEGAL USE OF

                                             U.S. WEAPONS BY ISRAEL

>From its earliest inception, the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) has
placed rejection of war as basic to our understanding of God’s will. We believe
that human beings are capable of solving conflicts through reason, an
empathetic understanding of the other’s point of view, and the courage to take
principled, nonviolent action in the face of injustice.

In this spirit, the Atlanta Friends Meeting urges all parties in the current
conflict to declare a ceasefire and work toward a negotiated settlement of
their grievances.  As Quakers who are also U.S. citizens, we strongly object to
the fact that tax-payer funded U. S. military equipment is being used illegally
in this conflict. We are very concerned that Israel is using weapons supplied
by the United States to target Palestinian & Lebanese civilians and civilian
infrastructure in the Gaza Strip and Lebanon in violation of the US Arms
Export Control Act and the Geneva Conventions.
 The Israeli air force fighter squadrons are composed of Lockheed Martin
F-16I Fighting Falcons and Boeing F-15Is, which fire US-manufactured AMRAAM,
Sidewinder, and Sparrow missiles.  From 2000-2005, the United States licensed to
Israel at least $1.062 billion of spare parts, engines, and missiles for its
F-15 and F-16 fighter planes.
>From 2000-2005, the United States licensed to the Israeli navy more than $572
million worth of patrol boat, ship, and submarine components and spare parts,
torpedoes, and sonar equipment.
                                 From 2000-2005, the United States licensed
to Israel more than $348 million worth of tanks, components, and spare parts.
(Statistics for US weapons licensed to Israel are compiled from the State
Department's annual report to Congress pursuant to Sec. 655 of the Foreign
Assistance Act)
 By using US-supplied weapons to attack Gaza and Lebanon, Israel is violating
the terms of the US Arms Export Control Act and Foreign Assistance Act.  The
Arms Export Control Act restricts the use of US weapons to legitimate
self-defense and internal policing; US weapons cannot be used to attack civilians in
offensive operations nor can they be used to destroy civilian infrastructure
such as power plants. The Foreign Assistance Act prohibits US aid of any kind to
a country that routinely kills civilians as a result of its military
operations.
The Atlanta Friends Meeting urges the President and Congress to act
immediately to halt Israel’s military attacks in the Middle East that are being
conducted with U.S.-supplied weapons in violation of our laws.   We urge the
President and Congress to stop all foreign assistance and military equipment exports
to Israel until it ceases military attacks outside of its internationally
recognized borders.

                                                             Adopted in
Meeting for Business - July 16, 2006