[saymaListserv] School of the Americas

Quakerkristi at aol.com Quakerkristi at aol.com
Mon Jun 5 06:57:57 JEST 2006

Well I'm back from the QUIT conference...and found this notice from the
MidSouth Peace and Justice Center that is very pertinent  The School of the
Americas is one of the organizations that has been implicated - through its graduates
- of a great deal of atrociities in Latin America, including torture and
terror.

One of the main speakers at the conference, Carlos Maurico works closely with
the effort -School of the Americas Watch.  He spoke hopefully of this vote.
He also spoke of visiting heads of State in several South American Countries
this year, who have agreed to stop sending their officers to the school.  (As
an interesting note, a good number of the heads of state and ministers of
defense/interior were women - which challenges my stereotypes)  Right now around
90% of those attending the school are Columbian.

If you care about this issue please take the time to learn a little about the
SOA and consider sending the message to our representatives - to join the
effort to close the school.

Thanks,  Kristi Estes