[saymaListserv] SAYMA E-Communications Committee at YM

CIsland at aol.com CIsland at aol.com
Tue Jun 6 12:20:59 JEST 2006

TO:             SAYMA  FRIENDS
FROM:        Clerk of SAYMA Ad Hoc  Committee on Electronics Communication (EC
C)
RE:             Subcommittee  Proposed General Statement on E-Communications
and Friends' Faith and  Practice
DATE:          6-6-06

At this point in time, there seems to be some prospect the  following may be
brought before the YM this week -

PROPOSED GENERAL STATEMENT about ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS of  the SOUTHERN
APPALACHIAN YEARLY MEETING and ASSOCIATION  (SAYMA)
Sixth  Month, 2006

Our Faith and Practice as it relates to  electronic communications:

Historically, Friends have been “part of the  world but not of it.” Learning
to incorporate new technology without losing our  practice of Spiritual
Discernment has been part of that history.

Our experience leads us to affirm that  electronic communications is not
appropriate for discernment of the Spirit and  determining the “sense of the
Meeting” in our Committee and Yearly Meeting work.  We are also reminded that our
Testimony of Equality speaks to the need to  include those friends who do not
have access to or experience in electronic  communications by providing them
with alternative means of  communication.

Electronic communications can support our work  in the following ways:
sharing of agendas, directions for actions, information,  research and support our
ecological concerns of paper reduction.

The following practical guidelines are also  recommended:
    *   Friends are asked to provide clear information in  the subject lines,

    *   consider their individual input regarding volume  and topic (does it
need to be sent?) and

    *   to be mindful that information can be in the body  of the
communication rather than as  attachments.