[saymaListserv] Web Site Policies proposal
CIsland at aol.com
CIsland at aol.com
Tue Jun 13 18:06:56 JEST 2006
TO: SAYMA FRIENDS
FROM: Bill Reynolds, Clerk of SAYMA ad hoc committee on Electronic
Below find the web site policies proposal which, for the most part, was
distributed to YM in business session on 6-8-06. This version has a few small
additions which I have italicized. In addition we are evaluating whether to
add Open Office Documents (.odt) to the list of "accceptable formats" under the
"Guidelines for Documents."
By the way, this "proposal" is actually no more than formal documentation of
how and why the SAYMA website has been operating all along; it proposes
nothing substantially new nor any change from long-standing operations. It is
being documented to provide guidance for those who will become newly involved
in its operations in the future.
Please forward any comments and questions to a member of ECC, the Clerk of
ECC (Bill Reynolds), or to your MM/WG's representative for consideration prior
to the fall Representative Meeting in Berea on 9-9-06.
If you would like the proposal emailed to you as an attachment in a
particular format, email Bill Reynolds at _cisland at aol.com_ (mailto:cisland at aol.com)
with your request.
Proposed Web Site Policies
Sixth Month, 2006
The purposes of the SAYMA Web Site (_www.sayma.org_ (http://www.sayma.org) )
· To share information among SAYMA Monthly Meetings, Worship Groups and
attendees about organizational matters;
· To reach out to potential attendees by providing information about how to
contact SAYMA Friends and locate SAYMA Monthly Meetings and Worship Groups;
· To inform the world at large about SAYMA activities.
The SAYMA Web Site will publish items of general interest to SAYMA Friends
submitted by Monthly Meetings, Worship Groups, Yearly Meeting committees,
groups within SAYMA or people in positions of responsibility for the Yearly
Specific content will include:
· An annual calendar of Yearly Meeting events;
· An archive of minutes of Representative Meeting and Yearly Meeting
business sessions (not including the attendee lists) and other documents in the
official record of the Yearly Meeting;
· A list of people in positions of responsibilities, including contact
· Information and registration materials (possibly including on-line
registration pages) for Representative Meetings and Yearly Meeting gatherings;
· Guide to Our Faith and Practice working documents and drafts;
· Announcements of workshops, retreats, etc., sponsored by member groups and
open to all;
· Information about SAYF and SAYF retreats;
· Issues of Southern Appalachian Friend newsletter and subscription
· The Yearly Meeting Handbook (when available);
· Information about other Yearly Meeting programs;
· Links to other Quaker organizations, including FGC, FCNL, FWCC, and AFSC.
To facilitate Yearly Meeting committee work, the web manager may provide
private, password-protected web space for committees to keep working documents.
Groups within SAYMA who would like a link or a presence on the website are
encouraged to contact the web manager.
Monthly Meeting/Worship Group Pages:
The web site will have a page for each monthly meeting and worship group
officially affiliated with SAYMA. These pages will contain:
· The name and status (i.e. Monthly Meeting, Preparative Meeting, Worship
Group) of the meeting;
· The place and times of meeting;
· Directions to the meeting or a link to a map;
· A link to the meeting’s own web site (if any);
· Contact information provided by the meeting;
· An email link of the form <meeting name>@sayma.org.
Email sent to the above email address will be forwarded automatically to the
email contact person designated by the meeting. If the meeting does not
designate an email contact person, such messages will go to the web manager.
It will be the responsibility of the individual meetings to keep their
information up to date by notifying the SAYMA web manager of changes.
Guidelines for Documents:
Documents for publication on the SAYMA Web Site must be submitted in digital
form and ready for publication. Acceptable formats are:
· Microsoft Word, Excel, or Publisher;
· Corel WordPerfect or Quattro Pro;
· Abode Acrobat PDF;
· Rich Text Format (RTF);
The web manager may correct spelling, grammatical or obvious factual errors,
but should not be expected to do major editing of submitted documents.
Documents will be posted in one or more of these formats (at the discretion
of the web manager):
The web manager will make a reasonable effort to insure that the on-line
document is as much like the original as possible, but sometimes changes in
format are necessary.
For best results, documents to be posted on the web should have a simple
layout with at least 1 inch margins and at most two font families. Common font
families, such as Times New Roman and Arial, work best.
Privacy and Security:
Personal information such as names, postal addresses and email addresses
will not be published on the SAYMA web site without the person’s knowledge and
The web manager will choose technologies that reduce the likelihood that
individuals will be subjected to spam, crank phone calls, or other unwanted
communication as a result of web site content.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the sayma