[saymaListserv] Call against torture

Quakerkristi at aol.com Quakerkristi at aol.com
Tue Jun 20 11:28:22 JEST 2006

Jennifer Harbury was a powerful speaker at the QUIT conference.  She speaks
boldy against torture and is doing a wonderful work.  Her organization is
calling for  a call-in to congress on June 23.  I will be away at a family reunion
that         week, unable to call...but I will do so earlier.  I would urge
any of you that are so  led to follow-up with this.  The McCain ammendment did
not resolve this issue, and we can't let it rest with that...in some ways it
weakened accountability.  More information is available at www.tassc.org
Peace,  Kristi Estes

Torture Awareness Month, June 2006
Speaking Points for June 23, 2006 Telephone Campaign

As you know, TASSC has declared the entire month of June to be International
Torture Awareness Month.  More than ever before, we need your help and
participation. There can be zero tolerance for torture, yet more than 150 nations are
now engaged in this barbaric practice. The fact that the United States
government now openly authorizes torture has created a global human rights crisis of
frightening dimensions.

On June 23, 2006 we will be carrying out a national telephone campaign, and
urge you to join us. We are asking that each and every one of you make a
personal call to your Congresspersons that day, and organize as many of your friends
as possible to call as well. We must all speak out in one voice against
torture.

We hope to have calls going in to Congress from all 50 states! Please let us
know if you will be able to participate by sending us an email at
jharbury at tassc.org. We thank you in advance for your hard work and compassion.

The Congressional Switchboard telephone number is 202-224-3121. They can
connect you to any office on the Hill.

Speaking Points:

June 26th is the International Day for Support of Victims and Survivors of
Torture. We are calling to express our grave concern for the growing human
rights crisis.

More than 150 countries in the world now practice torture, despite the
international ban on such inhuman practices.

The United States itself now openly practices torture with regards to the
detainees. This gives a green light to other nations to torture with impunity.

Torture is illegal under international law as well as the US constitution and
laws. As Patrick Henry once said, if we allow such barbaric practices here, “
we are lost and undone”.

There can be zero tolerance for torture. It is illegal and immoral.

Torture does not strengthen security. By sowing the seeds of trauma and
hatred around the world, torture only leads to further violence.

7.   We ask for an immediate Congressional investigation of the torture
already carried out by the United States, and the appointment of a Special
Prosecutor.