[saymaListserv] What should we call an Oversight Committee?

Larry Ingle lingle at bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 11 12:14:41 JEST 2006

I'm afraid my ideas may not coincide with those David Clements and Asheville
Friends are concerned with.  My short advice is that Asheville Friends
should not change its use of "Oversight Committee" simply because some, both
black and white, have criticized use of the term.

Just because the word (more usually "overseer") was used during the period
of slavery should not negate its usage by Friends.  According to my Shorter
Oxford English Dictionary, the term "oversight" is one from middle English,
which predates African-American slavery.  It is defined as "the action or an
act of overseeing something; supervision, inspection; charge, care,
control."  If that's not a useful definition of what an Oversight Committee
does in a Quaker marriage ceremony, I can't think of a better one; David
Clements is apparently having problems doing so as well.

Moreover, the same dictionary has, as one of its definitions of "overseer":
"a member of the Society of Friends responsible for the supervision of his
or her congregation."  Interestingly, the dictionary does not mention the
use of the term on slave planatations.

It strikes me that laying the term down is comparable to those who outlawed
the sweat lodge ceremony from FGC's gathering merely because someone cried
"racism" or "cultural imperialism."

For what it's worth.

Larry Ingle
Chattanooga Meeting