[saymaListserv] Tom Fox Found Murdered

Steve Livingston nc_stereoman at charter.net
Sat Mar 11 13:18:45 JEST 2006

Dear Friends,

It is with great heaviness of heart that I bring this news. Tom Fox, the
Christian Peacemaker of Langley Hills Meeting, who was captured last
November by the "Swords of Righteousness Bridgade" in Baghdad, has been
killed.

CNN reports that Fox's body had two bullet wounds, his hands were bound,
and there were cuts and bruises on his body that indicated physical abuse.

According to ABC News, "The State Department continues to call for the
unconditional release of all other hostages in Iraq". This of course is
completely and utterly false. The State Department is calling for the
unconditional release of all hostages /except the 20,000 or more being
detained by Occupation forces/. These hostages, some of whom have been
tortured and killed, are used by terrorists as a convenient excuse to
capture, torture, and kill innocent Americans.

Cynical warmongers claim that Fox and his compatriots were on a fool's
errand. Nothing could be further from the truth, IMHO. It is the
military that is on a fool's errand, one that has cost us over a half
trillion dollars and 2,400 American lives. Anyone who thinks that
Peacemakers are less safe because they are unarmed has forgotten what
happened in Fallujah.

On Nov 25, 2005, the day before he was captured, Tom wrote this in his
diary:

/ "Why are we here?" We are here to root out all aspects of
dehumanization that exists within us. We are here to stand with those
being dehumanized by oppressors and stand firm against that
dehumanization. We are here to stop people, including ourselves, from
dehumanizing any of God's children, no matter how much they dehumanize
their own souls./

A true Peacemaker, Tom recognized that the first place to look for what
stands in the way of peacemaking is within.

Rest in Peace, Tom. May your legacy live on, and triumph, before it is
too late for all of us.

Steve