[saymaListserv] Two items for your information

Penelope Wright pennywright at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 13 17:23:07 JEST 2006

Friends,
In two capacities I offer these two items for your information. The first as one of SAYMA's appointed representatives to FGC and the other one from Nashville Monthly Meeting on behalf of Tom Fox, Christian Peace Team worker and Quaker, whose body was found near Baghdad last Friday. Penelope Wright
FGC ITEM

The response to the 2006 Gathering of Friends has been absolutely unbelievable.  Only 10 days after online registration began, and even as paper advance programs are being delivered, 800 people have registered and more than 700 others have expressed interest in attending.  We had previously established an absolute cap of 1200, in light of available spaces.

A small committee met by telephone conference this morning to brainstorm ideas for addressing this unprecedented situation.

At this time, we are exploring several ideas that might allow more people to attend the Gathering.  It will take a few weeks to know what ideas are actually viable, and to create ways in which to integrate new plans into our structure.

At this time, we need to ask for your patience, and your prayers.  We expect to disseminate information about space in the Gathering at the beginning of April.  We need all available staff time to pursue expansion ideas.  Please help us by refraining from email and phone inquiries about the status of individual registrations or progress on plans.

Please let Friends know that we will add as many people as possible from the waiting list and received paper registrations once we see what possibilities exist.  It is not necessary to send a paper registration if one has entered names on the waiting list.

To conclude, we want to say that we are thrilled with the response.  We never dreamed that so many Friends would register so quickly.  We hear Friends loud and clear and want to honor your desires to a part of this historic first ever western Gathering.

In peace,

Margaret Sorrel & Lynne Phillips        Dave Miller                             Liz Perch

Co-clerks, 2006 Gathering                  Clerk, LRCP                            Conference Coordinator

2. Nashville Monthly Meeting will host a meeting for memorial for Tom Fox and to honore all peace makers. It will be at the Meeting House, Wednesday the 15th, at 5:30 PM, lasting about an hour. Please share this information with any Friends and friends that might want to attend.