[saymaListserv] Wanted: Executive Director for Narrow Ridge Earth Literacy Center
losborne at cn.edu
Mon May 15 15:56:59 JEST 2006
Narrow Ridge Earth Literacy Center is a nonprofit educational organization located about 45 minutes north of Knoxville in rural Grainger County. Narrow Ridge is committed to land conservation, sustainable living, building community, and fostering spiritual growth. Narrow Ridge is non-sectarian and welcomes seekers from diverse faith traditions. We invite inquiries about our educational, retreat, and service learning programs; see www.narrowridge.org <https://mail.cn.edu/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.narrowridge.org> . The Narrow Ridge board of directors is currently seeking the right person to hire as a part-time Executive Director.
Narrow Ridge Executive Director Job Description
1. Knowledge of and commitment to Narrow Ridge purpose, mission, charter and by-laws; ability to articulate Narrow Ridge purpose and mission effectively to internal and external constituencies.
2. Training and/or experience in Earth Literacy, permaculture, environmental education, or related area.
3. Training and/or experience in non-profit organizational leadership, to include working effectively with a board of directors and various other tasks of non-profit work such as fund- raising, grant-writing, and budget management; marketing, special event planning, program planning and evaluation; staff supervision and development; public relations and communications.
4. Training and/or experience in sustainability theory and practice, renewable energy sources, permaculture, land conservancy, and land trusts.
5. Ability to plan, gain funding for, coordinate, and evaluate successful programs expressing the Narrow Ridge purpose and mission.
6. Ability to update and maintain the Narrow Ridge computer database program with new information. Ability to use electronic mail.
7. Knowledge of and ability to approach and work with institutions of higher learning, other Earth literacy centers, environmental and land conservancy organizations sharing our mission, grassroots community groups, intentional communities, eco-villages, strategic people, organizations, and non-profit networks to further the mission and purpose of Narrow Ridge and to increase public awareness and support.
8. Preferred but not required: advanced degree; membership in a land trust or Eco-village; participation in a wilderness fast or vision quest; knowledge of upper Tennessee Valley bioregion.
1. 20 hours per week including a minimum of 10 hours in the Narrow Ridge office. Time may increase as finances with Narrow Ridge growth and as determined by the Board of Directors.
2. Directly accountable to the Board Chairperson in coordination with the Board of Directors. Attend quarterly Board of Directors meetings and other Narrow Ridge committee meetings. Provide bi-weekly activity reports documentation to the Board Chairperson for the first three months then monthly after that.
3. Supervise and evaluate the work of Narrow Ridge staff; recruit and supervise volunteers and interns. Keep track of volunteer hours. Recommend job candidates for hiring or for termination of current staff to the Personnel Committee.
4. Work with Board Treasurer and book-keeper to prepare reports on Narrow Ridge programs and finances for quarterly meetings of board.
5. In collaboration with the Education Committee; plan, coordinate, broaden and evaluate comprehensive programs, events and activities authorized by the Board of Directors. Build and broaden volunteer and intern programs and opportunities to include support of the Narrow Ridge purpose and mission, assist with events and activities authorized by the Board of Directors.
6. In collaboration with the Fundraising Committee, seek out, apply for, and obtain external funding for Narrow Ridge as a collective whole; build membership in Friends of Narrow Ridge; give special attention to securing the financial stability for Narrow Ridge both short-term and long-term.
7. In collaboration with the Facilities Committee Chair, monitor the status of Narrow Ridge buildings and properties to insure they are kept in good operating condition.
8. In collaboration with the Land Trust Committee, build and maintain a positive relationship between Narrow Ridge and the associated land trusts/holders association; implement Narrow Ridge programs in land conservancy and land trusts for Grainger County and the surrounding region.
9. Lead recruitment efforts to insure full enrollment in Narrow Ridge programs; develop a network for recruiting participants for Narrow Ridge programs through internet, phone calls, letters, and personal visits.
10. Coordinate Public Relations by promoting Narrow Ridge through sending out a Narrow Ridge newsletter at least 2 times per year, writing articles about Narrow Ridge for area newspapers; coordinating Narrow Ridge's presence and participation in Knoxville-area Earth Day activities and Community Shares events; responding to inquiries that come in from the public by email, phone, letter, or in person; creating a database of e-mails and a list serve, and participating in appropriate professional and community organizations related to Narrow Ridge purpose and mission.
11. Coordinate facility rentals.
12. Build community relationships with neighbors surrounding Narrow Ridge.
13. Recommendations to Board in regards to future Narrow Ridge needs.
Compensation: Commensurate with education and experience. There is no overtime, but hours overworked may receive compensation time. The board is committed to the goal of compensating all staff at a fair and equitable level.
Terms of Appointment: The first three months constitute a probation period during which the Board can terminate without cause and the employee can leave without having to give four weeks notice. There will be a 6 month review, then a one year review. Reviews will occur yearly from there after. Employment may be terminated immediately for cause (harassment, financial misconduct, sexual harassment, and bullying). The employee may resign at any time with 4 weeks notice.
To apply: Submit a resume along with a cover letter. Include the names, addresses, and phone numbers of 3 work references. Consideration of applicants will begin immediately and continue until June 15, 2006 or until a suitable candidate is found. Narrow Ridge is an equal opportunity employer. E-mail application materials to:
community at narrowridge.org
Subject: Executive Director
Attn: Richard Petzold; Personnel Committee Chairperson
<mailto:sheryl721 at hotmail.com>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 14190 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the sayma