[saymaListserv] [afmdiscussion] burning ethanol

Julia Ewen jewen at bellsouth.net
Tue May 23 08:29:06 JEST 2006

Dear Friends,

I am a fan of "green fuel" for cars. However, it just crossed my mind when Woody noted the big difference in Brazilian prices and Florida prices for sugar cane: why are Brazilian prices so cheap? Is it because of cheaper wages? and what about safety and health issues for Brazilian workers in cane fields and refineries?

Once upon a time in the Southern United States, we too produced a large amount of sugar with very cheap labor and lousy working conditions. The working conditions for these slaves were so bad that masters throughout the rest of the South had only to threaten "I'll sell you South!" to bring an unruly field hand into line...Machinery does much of what human beings used to do probably, but it is still a hot, hard job. Which should be fairly compensated. Does it pay the workers a wage that will provide at least the necessities, health care and education for workers and families?

Or will we be faced with boycotting ethanol because sugar is still being produced by economic, if not legal/political, slaves?

There's more than American farmer "greed" at stake. If great demand produces a widely available cheap supply, prices world wide may not rise to the level that provides a decent pay level for US workers. Farm workers do not even today live luxurious lives! Pay may indeed fall further for them, working conditions get far worse, or the sugar cane industry, like so many others may go entirely overseas. Florida would have to replace that industry with something else that produces the same or more tax revenues and puts the same or more cash into its daily economy. So even if you don't like farm subsidies and don't care if your sugar comes from the US or Brazil or the Moon, you will pay for cheap sugar, and cheap ethanol made from it, with higher taxes--and perhaps less demand for your own product or service, as people's higher taxed incomes shrink and they make choices about what to cut out. It might be your service or product.

And these are just the foreseeables! There is also the law of unintended consequences! Whenever we change one thing, thousands of other linked things change, and thousands of things linked to them change. Sometimes this is a positive chain. Do you remember a TV  series called "Connections"? It examined various technololgical changes in history and historical events and how they grew out of one another over a period of decades and centuries. They focused on the positive linked changes. But there are also negative chains of changes. And no one can see with the mind of God to know in advance what unintended consequences will follow from change--whether it be consciously undertaken or not!

I, like everyone else, do not want change to be painful--particularly painful to me! But what I see in scripture stories is that there is a lot of pain involved in life, in history, whether one is doing the right thing or not. Life happens. History happens. We keep living. We keep showing up trying to discern how to live rightly according to God's leading.
The rain continues to fall on the just and on the unjust. Sometimes doing "good" seems effective and rewarding and sometimes "bad" seems to prosper. But we keep going on in the Light.

Julia