[saymaListserv] Quaker in Training

Charles Schade c.vmbra at verizon.net
Mon Oct 2 20:57:58 JEST 2006

Thanks, Friends, for reminding me to take the long view.  The Light is not
diminished because the current Administration and previous ones fail to mind
it.

This past weekend I was reading Will Durant's Story of Civilization, when I
came upon a passage that speaks to my condition:

"In an age of war and chaos, of doubt and wandering, the Benedictine
monastery was a healing refuge.  It took dispossessed or ruined peasants,
students longing for some quiet retreat, men weary of the strife and tumult
of the world, and said to them: "Give up your pride and freedom, and find
here security and peace."  No wonder a hundred similar Benedictine
monasteries rose throughout Europe, each independent of the rest, all
subject only to the pope, serving as communistic isles in a raging
individualistic sea.  The Benedictine Rule and order proved to be among the
most enduring creations of medieval man.  Monte Cassino [the first
Benedictine monastery] itself is a symbol of that permanence.  Lombard
barbarians sacked it in 589; the Lombards retired; the monks returned.  The
Saracens destroyed it in 884; the monks rebuilt it; earthquake ruined it in
1349; the monks restored it; French soldiery pillaged it in 1799; the shells
and bombs of the Second World War leveled it to the ground in 1944.  Today
(1948) the monks of St. Benedict, with their own hands, are building it once
more.  Succisa virescit: cut it down, it blooms again."

I pray that our meetings can provide the "quiet retreat" for those "weary of
the strive and tumult of the world."

Charles Schade
Charleston, WV