[saymaListserv] Campaign Reform

Steve Livingston nc_stereoman at charter.net
Sat Oct 7 06:59:29 JEST 2006

Recently there have been several news items in the MSM about "getting
out the vote". They have focused on methods used by the principle
parties to identify potential voters and incentives. To my mind,
"getting more people" is not always a good thing, especially when the
people are single issue voters who know nothing more about the candidate
than what they hear in a single telephone call from a campaign worker.
For example, in the news report I heard yesterday on NPR, there was a
clip of a worker asking an elderly woman what issue was most important
to her. "Illegal Immigration" was her reply. Would this woman be
persuaded to vote on that basis?  If she knew that the candidate she was
being persuaded to vote for was also a strong supporter of gutting her
Social Security, would that affect her decision?

I have a hard time with the idea of "all the people" voting when so many
are disinterested in or disenchanted with the political process, or
voting on the basis of unenlightened self-interest. I don't think
getting out the vote on election day is really in right order. I think
it's more important to address what potential voters are getting out of
the campaign process prior to election day than what the candidates are
getting out of potential voters on election day.

Steve