[saymaListserv] More Christians active in ecological concerns

CIsland at aol.com CIsland at aol.com
Wed Oct 25 12:13:57 JEST 2006

SAYMA Friends,

I hope the rather awkward subject line does not bother people.  I  think this
announcement is about more than just "Evangelicals" though that is  the label
featured in its title and text.  I am forwarding this for the  information
about the new documentary (I guess that's what it is) The Great  Warming.  There
is a link in the website at _www.thegreatwarming.com_
(http://www.thegreatwarming.com)   that  will tell you where it is set to show.  Bill  Reynolds

Evangelicals  Embrace of Environmental Stewardship Creates Problem for  Bush

"Evangelicals… comprise between 40  to 50 percent of…the Republican base,
and so if the largest single population  group in the Republican coalition were
to say, 'this is important. We want you  to take, as leaders in the Republican
party, leadership on climate change, on  clean air, on pure water, on the
stewardship of our natural resources.' If  evangelical Christians were to say
that, I daresay Republicans will listen. This  president, George Bush, will have
to listen, the Republicans running for the  White House in 2008 will have to
listen…"
-  Reverend Richard Cizik, vice president of governmental affairs for the
National  Association of Evangelicals, from the film, The Great  Warming.
Around the country, many religious  groups, and most notably evangelical
Christians, are taking a stand on the  environment. Observers say the Bush
administration could lose significant  support from its conservative religious base
if it doesn't change its stance on  issues like global warming.
In addition to promoting sermons on  "creation care" - the idea that the
Bible calls on people to care for God's  earth - evangelical leaders are urging
their congregations to see The Great  Warming, a documentary film that has been
highlighted in the _Los  Angeles Times_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=213544024&url_num=5&url=http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-n
a-warming19oct19,0,7028600.story?coll=la-home-headlines)  and _Washington
Post._
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=213544024&url_num=6&url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/18/AR2006101801
681.html)
Narrated by Alanis Morissette and  Keanu Reeves, The Great Warming depicts
the threat global warming poses to  millions of people, particularly the world's
children, the poorest and the most  vulnerable. The film also showcases the
recent engagement of religious groups in  confronting the enormous challenge of
global warming.
Groups like the Christian Coalition  and the National Association of
Evangelicals are also making global warming an  issue. Reverend Richard Cizik, vice
president of governmental affairs for the  National Association of Evangelicals,
has been pressing politicians to publicly  state their positions on global
warming.
Last summer Cizik invited  contenders for the U.S. Senate in Pennsylvania -
Democrat Bob Casey, Jr. and  incumbent Senator Republican Rick Santorum - to a
forum on climate change. Casey  appeared and endorsed the Kyoto Protocol on
climate change, Santorum declined to  attend.
The Great Warming is set to open in  34 theaters around the country on the
weekend of November 3. To find out where  the film will be playing, visit
_www.thegreatwarming.com_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=213544024&url_num=7&url=http://www.thegreatwarming.com) .