[saymaListserv] QUIT: New Garden minute

Quakerkristi at aol.com Quakerkristi at aol.com
Thu Sep 7 08:43:55 JEST 2006

September 6, 2006

We of New Garden Friends Meeting of Greensboro, NC condemn the use of torture
for any purpose, including the furtherance of the objectives of war. Torture
by any means, whether direct or by proxy, is immoral.

Our condemnation of torture is not based on any political opinion or on the
laws or treaties of any nations. We are guided by a higher law that serves as a
compass for all humanity. Torture violates the basic human dignity that all
religions recognize. It degrades everyone involved – policy-makers,
perpetrators and victims.

We agree with noted Quaker, William Penn, who once said, “A good end cannot
sanctify evil means; nor must we ever do evil, that good may come of it.”

We join with the National Religious Campaign Against Torture (www.nrcat.org)
in our belief that torture is a moral issue. Let America abolish torture now –
without exceptions.