[saymaListserv] Have you heard about FreeCycle?

Jennifer Snow snowolff at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 8 14:11:33 JEST 2006

Dear Friends,
         Maybe I'm the only one who's just heard about this internet
site called "FreeCycle". It seems to have been designed by Quakers
and I think its wonderful. I've been cleaning stuff out of my garage
that I've never used that other people have been very thankful to
receive, often single Mom's or young couples just starting out in life.
         Its all over the country, I've been posting to the FreeCycle
near Raleigh. Below is the introductory letter they send out to new members.

Here's an email from the moderator on how to post:
         The easiest way to post (in my opinion, anyway!) is to go
right to the Wake Freecycle web site at
         http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WakeFreecycle/ , click on the
"post" option, and type it in.  Don't worry
         about finding something to offer first or having to give to
someone who already posted a wanted         message for something; we
like that, but we don't require it.  We just like people to be nice,
to follow        our rules, and to offer what they can!
Fred - owner/moderaor WakeFreecycle Moderator
<WakeFreecycle-owner at yahoogroups.com>

FreeCycle Rules of the Road:
         This Freecycle group matches people who have things they
need to get rid of with people who can use them. Our goal is to keep
usable items out of the landfill. By using what we already have on
this earth, we reduce consumerism, manufacture fewer goods, and
lessen the impact on the earth. Another benefit of using Freecycle is
that it encourages us to get rid of things that we no longer need and
promote community involvement in the process. Free your inner pack rat!

USING THE FREECYCLE LIST

Although not required, it is STRONGLY SUGGESTED that your first
message be an Offer, rather than a Wanted. If you give first, you'll
be more likely to receive later.

NOTE: ONLY ONE WANTED MESSAGE PER DAY, ONE ITEM PER MESSAGE.

FREECYCLE RULES & ETIQUETTE

1) KEEP IT FREE, LEGAL, & APPROPRIATE FOR ALL AGES. No alcohol,
Tobacco, Firearms or Drugs, legal or otherwise. This is our main rule
and it's a pretty easy one.

2) NO BORROWING, SELLING, TRADING, BARTERING OR OFFERS TO BUY.  It
has to be free.  Period.  No strings attached.

3) NO YARD SALE POSTINGS, AND NO WANTED POSTINGS FOR ANY
CHARITY.  "Wanted" posts on behalf of charitable organizations belong
in the Chat Room, and not on the Wake Freecycle main board.  We
believe that people who collect for non-profit organizations should
be able to provide 501(c)(3) tax receipts to donors, so that they
will be able to claim a tax deduction when they settle up with our
favorite uncle, Sam, at the end of the year.

4) USE THE CORRECT FORMAT FOR THE SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR POSTS. Use one
of these phrases to make it easy for others to delete or view:

    Offer: (item) (location) - as in Offer: loveseat, downtown Raleigh.

    **Always include your location in the subject line of the message**.

    Taken:  (item)

    Wanted: (item)
    PLEASE use this sparingly and don't offer money, trades, barter or borrow.

Noncompliant messages may be edited and approved or rejected, depending on
    how busy the moderators are at the moment.

5) Wanted messages. You may post no more than one Wanted message per
day, for a single item or set. For example, you make ask for a set of
dishes, a set of sheets, a box of Tinkertoys. You may not post a
Wanted for a list of items. You may post a Wanted message for the
same item no more than once per 30-day period. For example, if you
post a wanted message for a screen door, you may not post another
message for a screen door for 30 days.

6) NO SIGNATURE LINES OR ADVERTISING.  NO BUSINESS "OFFERS".  NO
RELIGIOUS BLURBS.  NO LIVE LINKS ANYWHERE IN ANY MESSAGE.

7) NO OFFERS OR WANTED POSTINGS FOR ANIMALS.  Some Freecycle groups
allow animal postings, but we do not. See the Files section
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WakeFreecycle/files/) for a list of
some of the many local and state-wide organizations that provide
animal rescue and shelters. By the way - "animals" means reptiles,
mammals, birds, insects - if it lives and breathes, don't post
it!  You will be banned from Wake Freecycle if you do.

8) NO SOB STORIES, PLEASE!  Keep it short and sweet. When you ask for
something, all  you really need to do is state what it is you are
hoping to receive. A little bit of explanation is ok, but generally
there is no need for much.

9) DO NOT INCLUDE PERSONAL CONTACT INFORMATION IN A POSTING.  Leave
phone numbers or addresses out of your messages. This information
should be made available to the selected recipient ONLY. This is a
safety issue.

10) PICK UP. Arrange as you like. Generally, you'll wait until you
get a handful of responses or maybe overnight, and then you can pick
whomever you like. That's half the fun.

11) DO NOT CHOOSE "No Email" AS YOUR EMAIL SETTING.  We require
"Special Notices" as the minimum setting so that we will be able to
get any  administrative messages out to our members.

DISCLAIMER: FREECYCLE NETWORK MEMBERS USE THE LIST AT THEIR OWN RISK.
Please take reasonable measures to protect your safety and privacy
when posting to the list or participating in an exchange. By joining
the list, you agree to hold neither the list owners, moderators, nor
anyone affiliated with The Freecycle Network responsible or liable
for any circumstance resulting from a Freecycle-related exchange or
communication.

SAFETY. Be aware! It is up to each individual member of Freecycle
when arranging for pickup of the item being given away to be
appropriately aware of the potential risk of having "a stranger" come
to your home to pick something up. Freecycle as a listserv assumes no
responsibility for this risk. If you, for example, you may say that
you'll leave the item on the front porch or arrange to meet at a public place.

A FEW BRIEF NOTES ON ETIQUETTE: Be nice. When you arrange to pick up
an item from another Freecycle member, it is good manners to
accommodate them as much as possible in terms of scheduling, and then
be punctual. They are giving you something you need and asking
nothing in return except that you will show up when you say you
will.  Always keep your correspondence with other Freecyclers
appropriate.  Be polite.  Don't advocate for or against
something.  No speculative comments about what people offer or ask
for.  Don't give unsolicited advice.  The board is here to keep
tangible items out of the landfill; it is not a forum for individual
ideas or beliefs.  Keep it simple, folks!

This is a "local" board.  We don't mind if people from a county (or
two or three) away joins up, but this is not a board for people
living in Seattle, New York City or Katmandu.  Please, if you live
far away, join a board nearer to home.

THE MODERATORS WILL HELP YOU
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to drop a line to
the moderators at WakeFreecycle-owner at yahoogroups.com. We actually
like to get input from you!

That should just about do it. Have fun and Keep on Keeping Stuff Out
of the Landfills!

Your friendly neighborhood Freecycle moderators,
Fred and Julia and Kristina
WakeFreecycle-owner at yahoogroups.com

FQA:  Fellowship of Quakers in the ARTS
<http://www.quakers.org/fqa>www.quakers.org/fqa
FQA Clerk:      Chuck Fager, ChuckFager at aol.com
Me:             Jennifer Snow Wolff
Address:        2112 Bethlehem Rd., Raleigh, NC 27610
Phone:  (919) 261-0084
email:  snowolff at earthlink.net
cell:   (919) 606-5562
E-FAX:  1-(253) 650-2180  toll free
"Friends (Quakers) function is to comfort the afflicted and to
afflict the comfortable."