[saymaListserv] FCNL urgent action

Quakerkristi at aol.com Quakerkristi at aol.com
Tue Sep 19 11:04:15 JEST 2006

Legislative Action Message -- The Senate Can Stop Torture - FCNL

            Legislative Action Message

      The Senate Can Stop Torture - FCNL

                  Printer-friendly version

                  Read this alert online:
<http://www.fcnl.org/action/2006/lam0918.htm>

                  Congress is in a bind. Many members of Congress are opposed
to any legislation that would condone torture, secret prisons, or other
programs that would undermine U.S. security, and violate the moral principles on
which this nation was founded. But member of Congress are under pressure because
the president is arguing that these techniques are necessary for the defense
of the United States. Hearing from their constituents now could help them
resolve this dilemma and do the right thing. Please contact your senators today to
let them know you oppose brutal, inhuman and degrading treatment and secret
prisons.

                  Normally, we at FCNL provide you with legislative
suggestions on Thursday. This week we're contacting you on Monday because members of
Congress may be asked to vote in the next few days on legislation proposed by
President Bush that would legalize the use of secret prisons and torture (what
he calls an "alternative set of interrogation procedures"). The president
argues he needs this capability to extract intelligence information that could
prevent new attacks on the United States and that he says needs this legislation
to be passed before Congress adjourns at the end of September for the election
campaign season.

                  Senators from both major political parties, former
government officials, and retired military leaders have been encouraging Congress not
to rush to pass legislation. "The world is beginning to doubt the moral basis
of our fight against terrorism," warns former Secretary of State Colin Powell.
He joins other former military leaders, several groups of retired judges, and
Senators John McCain (AZ), John Warner (VA), and Lindsey Graham (SC) in
stating that Congress should not undermine the internationally accepted standards
for treatment of prisoners articulated in the Geneva Conventions. (Read some of
the statements.)

                  This debate is not abstract. The president is asking for
permission to hold "disappeared" prisoners in secret locations, without access
to the International Red Cross, the nonpartisan international organization that
monitors the treatment of prisoners worldwide. He wants the CIA to have
permission to handcuff prisoners in uncomfortable standing positions for up to 40
hours, to induce hypothermia by putting prisoners in cold cells and dousing
them with water, by frightening them with attack dogs and near drowning
experiences, and by using a series of other torture techniques. Civilized nations agree
that these techniques are immoral and according to military leaders they
don't lead to useful (accurate) intelligence information.

                  Take Action: Torture is Not Acceptable, Anytime, Anyplace,
Anywhere
                  Write your senators today to urge them to resist any rush
toward approving the president's proposal and to speak out against torture and
secret prisons. Congress to reject the president's proposals and consider
carefully any changes to existing law governing treatment of U.S. detainees.

                  Read more!

                  Contact Congress and the administration.

                  Order FCNL publications and "War is Not the Answer"
campaign bumper stickers and yard signs.

                  Contribute to FCNL.

                  Subscribe or update your information to this list. To
unsubscribe from this list, please see the end of this message.

                  Subscribe to other FCNL legislative, policy, and action
alert lists.

                  Friends Committee on National Legislation
                  245 Second St. NE, Washington, DC 20002-5795
                  fcnl at fcnl.org * http://www.fcnl.org
                  phone: (202)547-6000 * toll-free: (800)630-1330

                  We seek a world free of war and the threat of war
                  We seek a society with equity and justice for all
                  We seek a community where every person's potential may be
fulfilled
                  We seek an earth restored.