[saymaListserv] Job opening
nmwhitt at samford.edu
Fri Sep 29 11:17:50 JEST 2006
This came over my e-mail this morning. nw
POPULAR EDUCATION STAFF POSITION
Youth Organizing and Leadership/Popular Education Position
At The Highlander Research and Education Center, New Market, TN
The Highlander Research and Education Center is a 74 -year-old non-profit organization that supports and serves as a catalyst for grassroots organizing and movement building dedicated to supporting those who work to bring about democratic participation and economic justice in the South and Appalachia. It is a rural, land-based, residential institution with a budget of $1 million and a paid staff of 14. Highlander Center is located on a 106 acre farm in the mountains of East Tennessee.
What you'll be doing:
We are looking for a new staff person to support educational programs that carry out Highlander's mission. This person will lead Highlander's youth and young leader leadership training program and participate collectively on the education team to carry out its overall work. The work supports marginalized groups affected by economic injustice in ways that encourage the development of their power and voice and organizing skills. Additionally staff participate together in a democratic and collective structure to meet Highlander Center's organizational needs.
Duties and responsibilities:
The primary work involves participation in our educational programs for capacity building and collective leadership for grassroots groups in the South and Appalachia. Duties include working on teams to:
ง Plan and coordinate residential popular education workshops
ง Do field work and community visits
ง Identify resources helpful to community groups
ง Assist groups with participatory research
ง Identify and nurture empowering cultural traditions
ง Plan, document and evaluate educational program activities
ง Participate in fundraising
ง Help to represent, articulate and define the education work
ง Share Highlander's educational process with others
What you'll need to do the job:
● Experience working with young people, in organizing and training
● Knowledge of the region and culture of the Southeast
● Ability to establish rapport with activist and community members in diverse ethnic, social and economic groups;
● Good logistical and facilitation skills;
● Popular education/facilitation/organizing experience
● Interest in and ability to travel and spend time in communities;
● Commitment to social justice and progressive movement building
● Good oral and written communication skills
● Ability to manage multiple projects/time management skills
● Willingness to work collaboratively with a team and get along well with a diverse staff
● Willingness to learn new skills
● Ability and willingness to work weekends, long and/or irregular hours.
● This position works with a diverse constituency, including: rural and urban, African-Americans, immigrants, LGBT, and low-income whites.
Experience that will be helpful
● Skills in dealing with diversity, logistics, communications and fundraising
● Research, writing and documentation skills;
● Cultural skills/knowledge of regional culture;
● Previous work with community and/or rural groups.
● Bilingual English/Spanish (helpful but not required)
The salary is $32,500, with health, vision, and dental insurance for employee, spouse or domestic partner, and children. There are also 24 vacation days, 10 holidays, pension, and a flexible work schedule.
October 15th or until position filled. Applications will be considered as they are received. People of color, women, lgbt, and bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
Please send your resume and references to:
Education Team Search Committee – Y/R
Highlander Research and Education Center
1959 Highlander Way
New Market, TN 37820
More information about the sayma