[saymaListserv] Quaker in Training

Steve Livingston nc_stereoman at charter.net
Sat Sep 30 14:10:12 JEST 2006

Friends, it is right and good for us to feel and express concern for the
abandonment and abrogation of our cherished founding principles, but it
is also good to  reflect upon  the longer historical  context, and not
lose sight of how far we have come as a nation, that we look upon these
recent developments with such dismay.

Let us not forget, for example, the dozen or so previous instances where
military forces supported by American tax dollars have invaded sovereign
nations, just in the past forty years, under questionable circumstances
and with little justification. Let us not forget the ongoing struggle to
expose the training that has been going on at the former School of the
Americas for the past forty years, and the partial victory that
conscience has achieved over imperialism in that case. Let us not forget
the last quagmire where our troops were bogged down, forty years ago,
and the exponential difference in human suffering and loss of life
resulting from that conflict compared to the present one.

It is right to speak out against the injustices of any regime. I offer
as a hope and a caution that it is a mistake to attribute to one regime
the injustices that have long been institutionalized and which only
recently have begun to be addressed, and at that only partially. It's
true that we have far to go before we have established a Peaceable
Kingdom, but it's not so much farther than it was six years ago, ten,
twenty, forty . . . and I would suggest perhaps not as far.

Steve